Speeches & Papers
- (April 2008) Frank Stilwell presentation titled "Selling the environment in order to save it?", given at the AFTINET Fundraising Dinner.
- (June 2005) Australia’s experience of the bilateral trade strategies of the US and China - Paper given by Jemma Bailey and Dr Patricia Ranald, Policy-Research Conference on Trade, Asia-Pacific Research Network, Hong Kong, SAR, 11 – 13 July 2005.
Pacific Agreement on Closer Economic Relations (PACER-Plus)
- (September 2010) AFTINET Trade Justice Campaigner, Harvey Purse, appearance on 2SER's 3rd Degree program about PACER-Plus. Webpage:
http://climateradio.blogspot.com/2010/09/ep-122-pacer-plus-free-trade-in-pacific.html. The MP3 can be downloaded directly from this link:
- (July 2009) "PACER negatives don't make a plus" - Speech given by Adam Wolfenden at the ALP National Conference Side Event cohosted with APHEDA titled "Trade, Worker's Rights and Development", July 31.
Aust-US Free Trade Agreement
- (July 2007) AUSFTA attempt to trade away blood processing stopped by community campaigning - Speech given by Dr Patricia Ranald
- (June 2006) The Australia-United States FTA: A contest of interests - Journal article by Dr Patricia Ranald, 2006, published in the Journal of Australian Political Economy.
- (June 2004) Read the analysis of the USFTA by the National Institute of Economic Research, which predicts a loss of $46.9 million to Australia from the USFTA.
- (Feb 2004) ALP Senate Select Inquiry on USFTA: Opposition Leader Mark Latham and Shadow Trade Minister Stephen Conroy released a statement on 27 Jan calling for a Senate Inquiry to begin as soon as the text of any agreement becomes available. View the statement here.
- (Jan 2004) AFTINET delivered the copies of our USFTA Statement, signed by 2,223 individuals and 63 organisations, to Minister Vaile's office. View the Statement here.
- (Dec 2003) Aust Institute Report: Pharmaceutical prices under the USFTA - The Australia Institute report discussing the US's targeting of Australia's intellectual property laws as part of the USFTA, and the impact this would have on pharmaceutical prices.
- (Aug 2003) The USA is targeting the price referencing system of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme(PBS). AFTINET has produced a one page leaflet Keep Medicines Affordable, about the impact of this on prices of medicines. View the leaflet in HTML format or download in PDF Format. View the sample letter to Trade Minister Mark Vaile raising these concerns.
- (June 2003) Aust - US FTA threatens access to affordable medicines: speech by Dr Peter Sainsbury, President, Australian Public Health Association at the launch of Trading Australia Away? at NSW Parliament House, 20 May 2003.
Trade in Services (GATS) & other WTO Issues
- (November 2009) AFTINET Presentation "The legacy of Seattle and the World Trade Organisation negotiations today" a speech by Dr Patricia Ranald on 12th November 2009 to commemorate the 10th Anniversay of the Battle in Seattle.
- (July 2008) AFTINET paper and presentation by Adam Wolfenden to the Sydney Greens on the Global Food crisis and the relationship between liberalisation and undermining food security.
- (July 2008) AFTINET presentation "Trading in Crisis: Australian Trade Policy and the Food and Environment Crises" by Adam Wolfenden at the International Symposium on the Food and Environment Crises, Hokkaido Japan.
- (July 2003) AFTINET leaflet - WTO Negotiations: Trading Away Essential Services - on the WTO GATS negotiations.
- (June 2003) US-Aust FTA threatens access to affordable medicines: speech by Dr Peter Sainsbury, President, Australian Public Health Association at the launch of "Trading Australia Away?" at NSW Parliament House, 20 May 2003
- (Mar 2003) Leaked EU GATS requests: Australian Financial Review story; AFTINET media release: "EU requests Australia Post and water privatisation"; "EU's secret plans hold poor countries to ransom", Feb 25, 2003, The Guardian
- Papers given at the AFTINET Seminar, Alternatives to the WTO Agenda, on 10 November 2002:
- Introduction to the Seminar, by Dr Patricia Ranald, Public Interest Advocacy Centre and AFTINET Convenor
- Power and Politics in the WTO, by Aileen Kwa, Focus on the Global South
- Building alliances for alternatives, by Rev. Dr. Ann Wansbrough, UnitingCare NSW.ACT
- Address to the Seminar by Julius Roe, National President, Australian Manufacturing Workers Union
- Investment, Competition & Government Procurement at the WTO by Prof. Jane Kelsey, Action, Research and Education network of Aotearoa (ARENA), New Zealand
- WTO, Indonesian Agriculture, and Food Security by Nur Hidayat, Institute for Global Justice, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Workers and the FTAA (Free Trade Area of the Americas), Presentation by Jesus Gonzalez, Director of the Human Rights Department of the Trade Union Congress of Columbia, and Professor at the Valle University.
- The AFTINET publication, WTO negotiations – resurrecting the MAI? was launched on 24 April 2002 at the NSW Parliament House. Click below to view the speeches given by the launch’s guest speakers:
- Trading Away Our Water Rights? - speech by Dr Patricia Ranald for the Seminar on World Water Day, 22/03/02, Parliament House, Sydney.
- AFTINET Submission on the policy of the Australian Government for the WTO Ministerial Meeting to be held in Doha, Qatar in November 2001 - Prepared by Dr Patricia Ranald, AFTINET Convenor
- Caring services or corporate markets? Ann Wansbrough, Public Meeting 14 March 2001
- Fair Trade & Workers Rights Doug Cameron, AMWU Nat Secretary, 14 March 2001
- The WTO Trade in Services Agreement: Privatisation by Stealth? - Dr Patricia Ranald, speech given at the Public Meeting on Privatisation held on 21/5/01 at the NSW State Parliament Theatrette.