TPPA 11th Round of Negotiations in Melbourne - 1st-10th March 2012
The latest round of TPPA negotiation is set to take place in Melbourne during the 1st to the 9th of March.
Australian government policy, recently amended at the ALP conference, should mean that it refuses demands to reduce our health, environmental and cultural regulation, and supports enforceable labour rights and environmental protections. But there is enormous pressure from the US to reach agreement.
We need to have a strong voice from unions and community groups at the negotiations to ensure that the policy is implemented without concessions and so AFTINET is publicising a number of events to make sure this happens.
The following events are open to the general public and we encourage you to participate and spread the word throughout your networks so we have as many people as possible come along. Follow this link for a copy of our flyer for the Melbourne Round events .
- Thursday 1st March from 6:00-8:00pm - Public Forum ( Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement – Fair Trade or Free Trade)
- Monday 5th March – 6:00-7:30pm – Public Forum ( TPPA and Access to Medicines)
- Thursday 8th March – 12:30-1:15pm International Women's Day Public Rally/ Protest Meeting "Fair Deal or No Deal"
Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement – Fair Trade or Free Trade.
- Professor Jane Kelsey, University of Auckland
- Dr Kyla Tienhaara, Australian National University
- Dr. Deborah Gleeson, Public Health Association Australia
- Lori Wallach, Public Citizen, US consumer group
Facilitator: Dr Patricia Ranald, AFTINET.
Sponsored by ACTU and AFTINET.
Venue: Melbourne Institute of Technology University (City Campus), Building 56, Level 4, Room 81, Corner of Queensberry and Lygon Streets.For a copy of the flyer and map to the venue follow this link .
TPPA and Access to Medicines (title: To Be Confirmed)
- Ms Sanya Reid-Smith, Third World Network.
- Mr John Rock, APN + People Living With HIV in the Asia Pacific Region.
- Mr Matt Cleary, Medecins Sans Frontieres.
Chair Dr Deborah Gleeson, Public Health Association of Australia.
Sponsored by Public Health Association of Australia (Victorian Branch), the Nossal Institute for Global Health and the People's Health Movement of Australia.
Venue: University of Melbourne, Executive Lounge, 1st Floor, Alan Gilbert Building, 161 Barry Street (corner Grattan and Barry Sts) Melbourne
RSVP for catering purposes by 2 March to: Brigitte Tenni, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or ph: 61 3 8344 1868.
For a copy of the flyer follow this link .
Title: A Fair Deal or No Deal At All, International Women's Day Public Rally/ Protest Meeting
Theme: To highlight the plight of women workers in developing economies and the exploitation of women's labor in free trade agreements
Speakers: (To Be Advised)
Spnsored by the Victorian Trades Hall Council in conjunction with AFTINET.
Venue: Street-front courtyard, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Clarendon Street, Southbank (opposite Crown, west entrance)
Further details will be notified closer to the event. Please keep checking this webpage.
TPPA resources, including important websites and information are available on our TPPA resources page by following this link .For any further enquiries feel free to contact us.